Live-In Animal Caretaker
Kindness Ranch is seeking a passionate, motivated, and qualified candidate to join our team as a Live-In Animal Caretaker. This person will live in an assigned furnished employee/animal housing unit directly on our property with up to ten (10) sanctuary dogs at any given time. The primary duties are the direct care of all sanctuary dogs and cats with special attention to the dogs in their assigned housing unit, supervising volunteers and visitors, and assisting with adoptions of the dogs and cats.
The ideal candidate will be a happy, hard-working, passionate animal lover with the experience and skills to both complement and enhance our current team. Kindness Ranch has done great work in the past and we want to do even better in the future – but we can only do so with the right people on board!
Live-In Animal Caretaker duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that our dogs’ and cats’ daily needs are met with the highest possible standards for care. Includes preparing food and water, cleaning habitats, distributing medications, socialization, exercise, and daily monitoring for health and behavior concerns.
- Socializing and creating an engaging and stimulating environment for all of the dogs and cats;
- Assisting in the efforts of the rehab and training program by applying our positive, reward-based training protocols;
- Assisting in promoting and facilitating adoptions of dogs and cats by engaging with visitors and potential adopters and assisting with phone calls, application processing, and paperwork as needed;
- Supervising volunteers and day visitors in daily ranch activities;
- Occasional cleaning chores in the barn area and/or assisting with the care of the horses, pigs, sheep, and cows;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of a high school diploma at a minimum;
- Possession of a valid drivers’ license and clean driving record;
- Prior professional canine care experience at a shelter or sanctuary, day care or boarding facility, vet clinic, or other similar animal care organization or business;
- Basic computer and internet skills, including use of email and word processing and database software;
- Strong communication and customer service skills;
- Willingness and capability to live in a remote location with minimal services.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for significant periods of time.
- Ability to work indoors, in small spaces, or outdoors, and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work with and handle dogs and cats of various sizes and temperaments.
- Ability to bend and squat, and to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to work energetically and throughout the day with people and animals.
Salary, Benefits, and Schedule
The Live-in Animal Caretaker is an exempt position with a beginning annual salary around $20,000.Benefits include rent-free, semi-private on-site housing, including basic utilities (electric, water, propane), and two (2) weeks of paid time off per year (accumulated by the pay period). Please note that this housing is available for employees only and cannot include family, roommates, or other non-employees. Personal pets are allowed within reason.
The Live-In Animal Caretaker should expect a varied and flexible schedule to include days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Interested in applying? We can’t wait to hear from you! Please complete the following steps:
- Review the Property Information for Volunteers and Visitors to learn more about our location and the surrounding area.
- Review the complete Live-In Animal Caretaker Job Description and the Essential Capabilities of Animal Care Employees documents to ensure your complete understanding of the duties and expectations of the position.
Please note that the interview process will include a working interview/site visit as the last step for the chosen top candidates.
We are looking to fill this position ASAP. The job is considered open until this posting is removed.
References will be contacted. Position is subject to employment verification and criminal background check.
Kindness Ranch Animal Sanctuary is an Equal Opportunity Employer.